As part of the Systems of Truth workshop, we host a reading group from February 2 through February 23. We met from 2-3pm on Fridays at the Moss Arts Center in the Learning Observation Room (Moss 251). Our readings and summaries are listed here. They are also available as a Zotero Public Group.
- Feb 2: Travis Kriplean
- Kriplean, T., Toomim, M., Morgan, J., Borning, A., & Ko, A. (2012). Is This What You Meant?: Promoting Listening on the Web with Reflect. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1559–1568). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2207676.2208621
- Kriplean, T., Bonnar, C., Borning, A., Kinney, B., & Gill, B. (2014). Integrating On-demand Fact-checking with Public Dialogue. In Proceedings of the 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (pp. 1188–1199). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2531602.2531677
- Garrett, R. K., & Weeks, B. E. (2013). The Promise and Peril of Real-time Corrections to Political Misperceptions. In Proceedings of the 2013 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (pp. 1047–1058). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2441776.2441895
- Clark, H. H., & Brennan, S. E. (1991). Grounding in Communication. In L. Resnick, L. B, M. John, S. Teasley, & D. (Eds.), Perspectives on Socially Shared Cognition (pp. 13–1991). American Psychological Association.
- Feb 9: Alice Marwick
- Marwick, A., & Lewis, R. (2017). Media Manipulation and Disinformation Online. Data & Society. Retrieved from https://datasociety.net/output/media-manipulation-and-disinfo-online/
- Marwick, A. E. (2017). Scandal or sex crime? Gendered privacy and the celebrity nude photo leaks. Ethics and Information Technology, 19(3), 177–191. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10676-017-9431-7
- Jack, C. (2017). Lexicon of Lies: Terms for Problematic Information. Data & Society. Retrieved from https://datasociety.net/output/lexicon-of-lies/
- Robb, A. (2017, November 16). Anatomy of a fake news scandal. Retrieved January 16, 2018, from https://www.revealnews.org/article/anatomy-of-a-fake-news-scandal/
- Feb 16: Mor Naaman
- Ma, X., Hancock, J. T., Lim Mingjie, K., & Naaman, M. (2017). Self-Disclosure and Perceived Trustworthiness of Airbnb Host Profiles. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (pp. 2397–2409). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2998181.2998269
- Sun, E., McLachlan, R., & Naaman, M. (2017). MoveMeant: Anonymously Building Community Through Shared Location Histories. In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 4284–4289). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/3025453.3025653
- Diakopoulos, N., De Choudhury, M., & Naaman, M. (2012). Finding and Assessing Social Media Information Sources in the Context of Journalism. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 2451–2460). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2207676.2208409
- Moser, C., Resnick, P., & Schoenebeck, S. (2017). Community Commerce: Facilitating Trust in Mom-to-Mom Sale Groups on Facebook. In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 4344–4357). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/3025453.3025550
- Feb 23: Jay Aronson
Aronson, J. D. (2018). The Utility of User-Generated Content in Human Rights Investigations. In M. K. Land & J. D. Aronson (Eds.), New Technologies for Human Rights Law and Practice. Cambridge University Press.
- Aronson, J. D. (2018). Computer Vision and Machine Learning for Human Rights Video Analysis: Case Studies, Possibilities, Concerns, and Limitations. Law and Social Inquiry.
- Tatar, D. (2014). Reflecting Our Better Nature. In Interactions.
- Aronson, J. (2017). Preserving Human Rights Media for Justice, Accountability, and Historical Clarification. Genocide Studies and Prevention: An International Journal, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.5038/1911-99188.8.131.521
We won’t get to all of these, but here are some suggested by others that are relevant to the topic. When available, a brief description is provided, or a link to a longer blog post on this site.
Suggest Future Readings:
Ideas for other relevant readings? Please provide them below!